Monday, April 18, 2011

Veggies From YOUR Garden

I think of garden and the first thought that comes to me is WEEDS!!  Growing up my family had a massive garden and everyday after school, every weekend, and it seemed like every moment I had free, I was WEEDING!  I hated it and vowed I would never have a garden of my own because of the whole experience.... (mind you a lot of this was in Ontario where the summers are super humid!).  Anyways, I was at a ladies church activity and we learned how to do SQUARE FOOT GARDENING..... a way to do gardening that elimanated weeds 99%.  I couldn't believe it but it all made sense!  My next concern was the amount of space I have in the yard.  We live in a townhouse complex and our yard consists of 5 feet in front and 10 feet in the back..... I couldn't go and rotertill up my entire backyard.  Well, with this, I don't have too!

Instructions on how to do your own Square Foot Garden can be found HERE.
Supplies and other goodies to get started can be found HERE.

I would suggest going to the 1st link and getting the details and making your own.  Cheaper and it's not hard to do anyways, you may be spending much more then you want to have it all premade.

How to make your own COMPOST..... (step by step with pictures here)
  1. buy a rubbermaid container about 68L or larger to use as the compost holder
  2. grab some newspaper and make into strips.  Put on the bottom of the container
  3. go to Canadian Tire and buy 25 redwigglers, they cost $3
  4. take your rubbermaid top and poke a bunch of holes in it, making sure they aren't big enough for bugs like spiders to get through.  Pencil size holes will be good enough.
  5. put your redwigglers in the rubbermaid and place outside.  Make sure it's not to cold out, (like right now in southern alberta it would be to cold.)
  6. dump in all sorts of food remnants, like peels, leftovers, and grass clippings.  Just make sure you don't throw in any milk products, fat, meats, or bakery products.
  7. when you throw in scraps, place them on one side of the bin.  The redwigglers will go to the side you place the food.  Then the next time you put scraps in place them on the other side.  This way they will go from one side to the other mixing up your compost for you. 
Thanks to Rob Cooper for this Info! 

  • If you feel you don't have time or don't want to bother with making your own compost, compost can be found at many dumps for FREE!  Just ask when you go in where to find it!

I am so excited to get my garden going, I just have to wait for this snow to go away!!!   Another great tip to use when purchasing your gardening supplies is to go to DOLLARAMA for them.  I went on the weekend and got stakes (to put up netting for some peas) and a hand shovel and some netting for a total of $5!!!

Please let me know if you have any questions!!!!  HAPPY GARDENING!!  Once I get started I will post some pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment