Thursday, April 21, 2011

Step by Step: Creating Your Own Compost

So, as I stated in the Gardening post (found HERE), making your own compost is easy and almost free.

Supplies:
  • rubbermaid container, 68L or more  $6.50-$15.00 at Walmart (I got a 68L one for $6.50)
  • red worms 25ct, found at Canadian tire for $4.39
  • shredded newspaper  FREE
  • food scraps  FREE
  • TOTAL COST:  $11 and that's only a one time fee!  Once you buy the materials, up keep is free!
And after about a month you will have compost!!!!!

So I took my rubbermaid and I poked holes in the top.  Not large enough for bugs to get in, well large bugs like SPIDERS, yuk!


Then I shredded up newspaper and put in a bunch of food scraps I have been gathering (bonus for me as I was drying out a bunch of fruit so I had tons of scraps).


Then I placed in these guys:

And placed it outside.  Now remember when the temperature goes lower then 0 degrees, you will need to bring this tub inside.  Even if its your garage, (as long as it's not colder then 0 degrees).  If you leave them outside below freezing, the worms could die on you.  It's not the end of the world though, if you do forget them outside, just go and buy some more worms!!!

Good luck composting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment