Monday, April 4, 2011

The Start: Decluttering Your Home

So here is my first post about organizing.

If I took pictures of my house from 6 months ago till now you wouldn't think it was the same people living in it.  I was very unorganized and I always had something shoved somewhere.  But not anymore.  I decided I needed to declutter my life and it had to start with my house.  So it is what I did.
  • I went through each room with a large garbage bag and plastic container and a box.  I put everything that needed to be thrown away (things I hadn't used for over a year, papers, garbage) into the garbage bag, and things I thought would be good for my garage sale in May in the large container.  Everything that needed to go to a different room went into the box.  
  • I had to stop being emotionally attached to things.  If I picked up something that I hadn't used for over a year, I had to put it into either the garbage bag or the plastic container.  I couldn't keep it in my house anymore.  It wasn't being used anyways.
  • When it comes to the bedroom, you might want a garbage bag for clothing and one for toys.  These clothing and toys can be dropped off at a local shelter or thrift store to be used by someone else.  
Once I was done decluttering my entire house I had 10 garbage bags and a number of cardboard boxes full of things to be brought to the dump.  I couldn't believe we had been carrying around so much stuff!!!  It took me an entire week to do this from 8am till when I went to bed.  At the time my son was 10 months old which was nice because he would just play with his toys or eat or nap while I was doing all of this.

Here is a similar way to go through and declutter your house.  I did not make this up, I was at a church activity for the sisters that talked about organizing your life and the lady who did the organizing lecture gave this handout out after.  I do not take any credit for it but please read this and use it.  It can be such a help in decluttering your homes:

Decluttering and Organizing

Choose one area at a time
Have three containers –
  • ONE TO PUT AWAY
  • ONE TO THROW AWAY
  • ONE TO GIVE AWAY
Remember: The “put away” needs to be done immediately
The throw away needs to be tied up and placed in the garage or taken to dump etc.
The “give away” needs to go to Salvation Army or salvage etc.

Ask yourself these questions: Do I love it? Have I used it in the last year? Do I have
something else that can do the same job? Do I need two?

You can also check out www.thestripedbox.com  If you click on the label organization on the right hand side she gives a 21 day decluttering your home list.  I think this is a great idea if you have a lot of kids or are a busy lady.  Make sure you can stay committed though, I know for me something usually sticks only for a week unless I truly devote myself!!

1 comment:

  1. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    skip bins yeerongpilly

    ReplyDelete