Sunday, February 6, 2011

Food Smart

A few ideas on how to make the most out of your grocery shopping and your pantry!
  • Buy multiples of items most used when on sale.  For example, we eat a lot of beans in my house.  Add them to almost anything to give that protein boost without always using meat (food smart tip #1).  When beans are on sale, I buy 2-3 more cans to store and use later because I know I will!
  • Use up your freezer and pantry food!  I know I am bad for this, I add to my freezer more consistently then I do use it.  Take an hour, pull everything out of your freezer and pantry, WRITE IT DOWN!  Now, for the next month, incorporate the freezer and pantry food into your meals.  Especially the food that's at the bottom of the freezer.  The list you made, put it on your fridge so the next time you go grocery shopping you won't pick up multiples of something you need to use in the freezer or pantry!
  • Use your leftovers in other foods.  If you have leftover rice or chicken, make a different meal using those leftovers so your family EATS the leftovers!
  • Don't buy more perishable foods then you eat.  I find that buying frozen veggies and some fruits are cheaper in some ways, especially if your like what I use to be and when grocery day comes around you are throwing out half of what you are putting in it.
  • Make a meal plan before heading out and buying groceries.  That way all the food is called for!

No comments:

Post a Comment