Tuesday, March 8, 2011

$3 a Loaf?????

How many of us spend $2-$5 on ONE loaf of bread????  I remember when bread was $.75 a loaf..... geez, now for some good whole grain bread it could be as high as $4.79.  Well, save yourself some "dough"... lol and make your own bread.

It sounds hard, I know, but it can be done, and it can be done in more then one way.
  1. Invest in a bread machine.  If you watch the fliers, you can sometimes find one for a wicked price.  My parents just got a double loaf bread maker back in January for $80, on sale 60% off.  The deals are out there and they are so quick and easy.  Fill with ingredients, push a button, and let it do it's thing.  Even if you bought one for $250, if you used it for all your bread buying needs including pizza dough, buns, cinnamon buns, and bread sticks, you would pay it off in 9 months easy (depending on your family size and how much bread you consume).   
  2. Make your own by hand, yes by hand.  I'm not the best bread maker, I prefer making buns, easier to get away with issues like to moist!  But making your own bread isn't as bad as I thought, mind you I do have a kitchen aid mixer but if I didn't it still isn't bad, just some time and love.  I also like to buy from the dollar store those tin foil bread pans.  They work great and are easy to clean.  I just can't seem to keep my bread from sticking to my bread pans so I opted for the tin foil pans and no more sticking!
  • If you have no clue at all how to make your own bread, check out YouTube.com.  Just write, "how to make bread", and there are tons of tutorials of people showing you how to make bread, step by step.  And making bread can be a great way to rotate your wheat in your food storage.  
  • Remember, you may throw out your first batch of homemade bread, that's okay.  Practice makes perfect and it takes time.  Once you get a hang of making your own bread then you can start adding in things like honey and oats. 

2 comments:

  1. Homemade tastes WAY better too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making home made bread. www.ourbestbites.com has some great bread and bun recipes as well!

    ReplyDelete